We are celebrating the Platinum Jubilee with a gut healthy afternoon tea!
This really is a meal fit for a queen, the best bit? It’s all made with kefir...
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of milk kefir
1. Preheat your oven to 425°F.
2. Whisk your flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
3. Squash your butter into the mixture using your fingers.
4. Add your sugar and slowly mix in the kefir until you have a dough.
5. Knead the dough together and turn it out onto a floured surface.
6. Roll out and use a cutter to cut out the scone shapes - place them on a baking paper then an oven tray.
7. Bake for 15 minutes. Leave to cool and add kefir cream and strawberries!
Champagne (fizzy kefir)
- 800 ml water
- 8 tbsp water kefir
- Flavoured syrup
1. Leave your water kefir grains to ferment for at least one day (more if you want extra bubbles and a stronger flavour).
2. Pour kefir in a glass bottle and add your syrup, then seal the bottle. Store in the fridge until you are ready to drink it.
3. Pour into a champagne glass and drop in a strawberry for that extra touch - enjoy!
Kefir bread with kefir cheese
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 cups milk kefir
1. Mix the flour and the salt into a bowl.
2. Pour in the honey and milk kefir then mix.
3. Knead the mixture for 5-10 minutes or until you have a soft dough.
4. Place the dough in an oiled bowl and leave to ferment for 12-24 hours.
5. Push down the dough with your fists and then place in a covered loaf pan to rise in a warm place (it should reach the top of the pan).
6. Preheat your oven to 350°F and bake for 45 mins.
You should now have a golden brown loaf which once cool is ready to slice and eat!